Classic Pot Roast
White Bean and Sausage Soup
|By :Urvashi Pitre|
You want a small bean like navy beans for this so that the beans cook down into the soup to thicken it. I used chicken sausage to keep the fat down a little, but if your diet can take a little fat now and then, feel free to use regular Italian sausage.
|Browse Category||Meat, Soups, Stews & Broths|
|Diet||Dairy Free, Egg Free, Gluten Free, Low Carb, Nut Free, Soy-Free|
|Cooking Technique||Pressure Cook, Sauté|
|Main Ingredient||Bay Leaves, Collard Greens, Italian Seasoning, Navy Beans|
|Prep Time||65 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
|Passive Time||10 minutes|
- 1 cup dried navy beans
- 1 lb bulk Italian-style turkey or chicken sausage
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups diced large onions
- 1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes 14.5-ounce
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 1/2 cups Water
- 4 cups chopped fresh collard greens
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley optional
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese optional
- One hour before you plan to cook, place the dried beans in a bowl and cover with hot water by
2 inches; drain before using.
- Select SAUTÉ/Normal on the Instant Pot. When the pot is hot, add the sausage and garlic and break up with a wooden spoon. Add the onions, tomatoes, beans, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, salt, and water. Stir in the collard greens.
- Secure the lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK and set the pot at HIGH Pressure for 35 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
- Discard the bay leaves, stir in parsley and Parmesan cheese (if desired), and serve.
Total Fat: 5g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!