|By :Subhadra Burugula|
Traditional South Indian Vegetable soup with lentils, it is a treat for the taste buds and must try for soup lovers. Generally served with Rice and curry, but can be drink as soup.
|Browse Category||Soups, Stews & Broths|
|Diet||Diabetes, Gluten Free, Low Fat, Vegan, Vegetarian|
|Cooking Technique||Multicooker, Pressure Cook|
|Main Ingredient||Lentils, Vegetables|
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 onion cubed
- 1 serrano pepper quartered
- Salt to taste
- 1 big carrot diced
- 1 small bottle gourd diced
- 1 big tomato diced
- 1 cup yellow lentils aka toor dal or pigeon peas
- 1 small lime sized tamarind or concentrate
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 4 cups Water or as needed for desired consistency
- 1 tbsp red chili powder or to taste
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp sambar powder
- 3 tbsp ghee ( vegans can substitute with oil of choice )
- 7-8 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves or
10 to 15 leaves
- Put the pot on saute mode high, fry the seranno pepper and onions in oil. Add veggies of choice and fry for a minute.
- Add the spices mentioned, water, lentils and tamarind extract and salt.
- Turn off Saute mode and put manual high for 12 minutes.
- Once natural pressure releases, check for salt and spices, boil for few mins and turn off.
- Do the tempering (see notes) and add it to the sambar, add cilantro.
- Serve Hot with Rice and Potato chips.
For tempering heat the ghee in a small pan on stove, add all ingredients when the ghee is hot. Fry till fragrant and garlic becomes golden. Alternatively you can do this Tempering in the first step directly in the Instant pot. It’s just a preference.
If using Raw tamarind, then soak it in hot water and get the extract.
Sambar powder is easily available in Indian groceries.
You can also use other veggies like Okra, Moringa pods, pumpkin, Shallots, Radish etc
Serve this Sambar as a Vegetable soup or with Rice, traditional breakfasts like Dosa, Idli or Upma.
Yellow lentils can be replace with red lentils.
Social media: https://www.facebook.com/subbucooks/ https://www.instagram.com/subbucooks/ http://www.youtube.com/c/subbucooks Subhadra is born & raised in India currently living in Texas. She is very passionate about cooking and Photography. Her main motto is to provide tasty, healthy and easy recipes so that others can prepare a delicious meal for their families. Even though she is busy with her day job she tries to keep up with her blog and YouTube channel. She is a big foodie and loves to create new recipes. Subhadra has received lot of praise and compliments on social media for her recipes, especially Instant Pot recipes. All her recipes are Vegetarian and Vegan friendly.
All recipes by : Subhadra Burugula
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!