Tofu Butter Masala, Tofu Tikka Masala
|By :Subhadra Burugula|
Ultimate butter tofu recipe that is out there, crispy tofu pieces cooked in gorgeous cashew nut tomato based gravy. Lip- smacking and heavenly are the best words to describe this dish. This same gravy can be used for meats like chicken too.
|Browse Category||Side Dishes|
|Diet||Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian|
|Cooking Technique||Pressure Cook, Sauté|
|Prep Time||8 minutes|
|Cook Time||17 minutes|
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 14 ounces Firm tofu cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup water or as needed
- cilantro to garnish
- 2 small tomatoes chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 small 1/2 inch pieces cinnamon
- 3-4 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 green chili or to taste
- 2 tsp coriander seeds powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder to taste
- Take the tofu, drain the water well and cut into pieces
- Pan fry them with little oil until sides are golden brown and crisp. This will prevent the breaking of tofu in curry. ( I air fried the tofu in an air fryer, at
400°Ffor 10 minutes, flipping in between. sprayed with little oil)
- Make a smooth paste with all the ingredients mentioned under sauce..
- Turn on the instant pot, put it on saute mode high.
- Add ghee, let it get hot. once hot add cumin seeds and fry well.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 to 3 mins, until golden brown.
- Add the sauce to the pot and mix well. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes until ghee leaves the sides and sauce is well cooked.
- Sauce may splatter, if desired switch to saute mode low or use a splatter guard.
- If sauce is too thick and sticking to bottom add
1/4 cupto 1/2 cupwater. I added 1/2 cupwater (adjust as you need)
- After sauce is cooked, add all the ingredients mentioned under the spices and mix well.
- Add Tofu pieces and water as needed, I added
- Turn off saute mode
- Put the lid, vent to sealing position and do manual high 2 minutes.
- Natural release or quick release after 10 mins in warm mode.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with Naan or rice of your choice.
If using heavy cream instead of cashews, add heavy cream at the end once the curry is done.
After the curry is done, if your sauce is too thick add some water and do saute mode for couple of minutes. If you sauce is too think then do saute mode till desired consistency is reached.
In the same sauce, any other vegetables, paneer or meat can be cooked. (adjust the cooking times as needed).
Vegans can skip ghee/butter and use vegan butter or olive oil.
Social media: https://www.facebook.com/subbucooks/ https://www.instagram.com/subbucooks/ http://www.youtube.com/c/subbucooks Subhadra is born & raised in India currently living in Texas. She is very passionate about cooking and Photography. Her main motto is to provide tasty, healthy and easy recipes so that others can prepare a delicious meal for their families. Even though she is busy with her day job she tries to keep up with her blog and YouTube channel. She is a big foodie and loves to create new recipes. Subhadra has received lot of praise and compliments on social media for her recipes, especially Instant Pot recipes. All her recipes are Vegetarian and Vegan friendly.
All recipes by : Subhadra Burugula
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!