Cioppino with Fennel, Tomato, and Tons of Seafood
Sunday Pot Roast with Carrots and Potatoes
|By :Bruce Weinstein & Mark Scarbrough|
Our IP Version of CRACKER BARREL OLD COUNTRY STORE’S Sunday Pot Roast with Carrots and Potatoes. Sunday pot roast was available at the popular restaurant at the time we were testing recipes. But Cracker Barrel changes its menus fairly frequently, so what’s on tap today may not be available six months from now. In any event, we found this version to be pure comfort food, a cross between a stew and a pot roast. It might be exactly what you’re looking for if you miss the Sunday offering — or if you want it on any other day of the week. For the IP, the recipe takes place in two steps under pressure in a bid to keep the vegetables from turning to mush. It’s a callback to an older way of preparing dinner, when time was less at a premium.
|Course||Dinner, Main Course|
|Cooking Technique||Pressure Cook, Sauté|
|Main Ingredient||Boneless Chuck Roast, Carrot, Celery, Red Onion, Roma Tomatoes, Yellow Potatoes|
|Keyword||instant pot recipes, pot roast|
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour 45 imnutes|
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast cut into six equal chunks (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 medium red onion peeled and very roughly chopped (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 medium garlic cloves peeled and minced (2 teaspoons)
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 3 medium yellow potatoes quartered
- 3 medium carrots peeled and quartered widthwise
- 3 medium celery stalks quartered widthwise
- 6 small roma or plum tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Water
- Press SAUTÉ, set it for MEDIUM, NORMAL, OR CUSTOM 300°F for set the time for 10 minutes.
- As the pot heats, warm the oil in the insert set in a 5-, 6-, or 8-quart Instant Pot. Season the beef with the salt and pepper. Add the chunks and brown well, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute, just until aromatic. Pour in the broth and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the insert (turning the pieces of beef this way and that). Stir in the parsley, oregano, sage, and allspice. Turn off the SAUTÉ function and lock the lid onto the cooker.
- MAX Model: Set for PRESSURE COOK on MAX. Set the time for 40 minutes with the KEEP WARM setting off.
Other Instant Pot Models: Set for PRESSURE COOK on HIGH pressure. Set the time for 45 minutes with the KEEP WARM setting off.
- When the pot has finished cooking, turn it off and let the pressure return to normal naturally, about 30 minutes. Unlatch the lid and open the cooker. Transfer the chunks of beef to a nearby cutting board. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, and tomatoes to the sauce. Stir well and lock the lid back onto the pot.
- Set for PRESSURE COOK on HIGH pressure. Set the time for 18 minutes with the KEEP WARM setting off.
- When the pot has finished cooking a second time, use the quick-release method to bring the pressure back to normal. Unlatch the lid and open the cooker. Return the chunks of beef to the pot.
- Press SAUTÉ, set it for MEDIUM, NORMAL, OR CUSTOM 300°F for set the time for 9 minutes.
- As the sauce comes to a simmer, whisk the cornstarch and water in a small bowl until smooth. Whisk this slurry into the simmering sauce and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Turn off the SAUTÉ function and use hot pads or silicone baking mitts to transfer the (hot!) insert to a nearby wire rack to stop the cooking. Serve in bowls with lots of sauce and vegetables around the meat.
• For a 3-quart Instant Pot, you must halve all of the ingredient amounts.
• For an 8-quart Instant Pot, you can increase all of the ingredient amounts by 50 percent.
• For a 10-quart Instant Pot, you must increase all of the ingredient amounts by 50 percent or you can even double them.
Bruce Weinstein & Mark Scarbrough
All recipes by : Bruce Weinstein & Mark Scarbrough
You might also like