• Substitute 1 teaspoon five-spice powder for the ground cinnamon.
• Garnish the ribs with sesame seeds and/or finely minced scallions.
• Or drizzle with toasted sesame oil and unseasoned rice vinegar.
• Have extra duck sauce or sweet chile sauce for dipping.
• For a 3-quart Instant Pot, you must halve all of the ingredient amounts (using only one rack of ribs). And you must only use baby-back ribs.
• For an 8-quart Instant Pot, you can increase the amount of marinade, ribs, and duck sauce by 50 percent but you must leave the amount of liquid in the insert the same as the original recipe. (Follow the technique for setting one rib spiral in another from the main recipe, then set the third spiral of ribs in the center and let it uncoil a bit, too.)
• For a 10-quart Instant Pot, you must increase the amount of liquid in the insert to 21/2 cups, even if you complete the recipe as otherwise stated. However, you can also increase the other ingredient amounts by 50 percent or you can even double the other amounts.