Salted Caramel Cheesecake with Pretzel Crumb Crust
Savory French Toast
|By :Weldon Owen|
Layered with sautéed asparagus and mushrooms then covered with a rich, herb-infused egg mixture, cubes of bread take on a dense, almost custard-like, texture.
|Course||Dinner, Lunch, Main Course|
|Cooking Technique||Pressure Cook, Sauté|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
|Passive Time||15 minutes|
- Unsalted butter or cooking spray for greasing
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk 475 ml
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp canola or avocado oil
- 6 oz asparagus cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces, 180 g
- 6 oz cremini or white button mushrooms sliced, 180 g
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 8 oz day-old baguette or country bread cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes, 250 g
- 2 cups Water 475 ml
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Grease a 1½-qt (1.5-L) ceramic baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, chives, basil, lemon zest, nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Select Sauté on the Instant Pot® and heat the oil. Add the asparagus, mushrooms, thyme, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until the asparagus stems are bright green and the mushrooms begin to turn golden brown,
about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Press Cancel to reset the program.
- Arrange one-third of the bread cubes in a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Layer half of the vegetable mixture on top. Place another third of the bread cubes in another layer on top, followed by the remaining vegetable mixture. Layer the remaining bread cubes on top and pour the egg mixture over all, pressing down gently so that the bread absorbs the liquid. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Pour the water into the Instant Pot® and place the baking dish on the steam rack. Using the handles, lower the dish and steam rack into the pot. Lock the lid in place and turn the valve to Sealing. Press the Pressure Cook button and set the cook time for 30 minutes at high pressure.
- Let the steam release naturally for 15 minutes, then turn the valve to Venting to quick-release any residual steam. Carefully remove the lid and, using the steam rack handles, lift out the dish. Transfer to a cooling rack, remove the foil, and let cool slightly. Cut into wedges and serve.
BONUS STEP After removing it from the pot, sprinkle the savory French toast with Parmesan cheese and bake in a preheated 400°F (200°C) oven until golden brown, 8–10 minutes.
Complete Instant Pot® Collection The Instant Pot® has become an instant classic, a must-have item for home cooks everywhere. Designed to increase the versatility of your Instant Pot® or Duo Crisp machine, The Complete Instant Pot® Cookbook features a curated collection of classic and contemporary recipes that utilize this innovative device to its maximum potential and yield delicious, streamlined meals. The well-tested recipes include all the basics—like yogurt, eggs, jam, rice, grains, and beans—as well as dishes for every meal of the day. You’ll learn the fundamentals and benefits of cooking various cuts of meat—such as pork shoulder, chicken thighs, or beef chuck—in an Instant Pot®. Quick and simple soup stocks—including chicken, fish, bone, and vegetable—allow you to maximize the flavor of your favorite dishes in less time than traditional methods. Plus, the Instant Pot® primer gives you all the insider tips on how to maximize the effectiveness and versatility of the Instant Pot® and the Air Fryer lid. Beyond the basics, The Complete Instant Pot® Cookbook covers a versatile range of flavor profiles and dishes. From comforting classics like bolognese, posole, and Thai basil noodles, to lighter fare such as chicken braised with citrus and olives, gingery salmon, and zesty and bright wild rice salad, to decadent desserts like molten lava cakes and key lime pie, you’ll find plenty of inspiration for getting the most out of your pressure cooker.
All recipes by : Weldon Owen
You might also like