Orange Beef “Fried Rice” Casserole
Pesto Minestrone Soup
|By :Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough|
This summer delight is a version of minestrone with the flavors of pesto: lots of basil and some nuts, even cheese stirred in at the end. We didn’t sauté the onions and other vegetables first because we wanted a cleaner, brighter flavor. The soup’s actually a bit sour, best on a warm evening (with a G&T—trust us). Calm it down with lots of crunchy bread to sop up every drop.
|Browse Category||Soups, Stews & Broths|
|Cooking Technique||Max Pressure Cook, Pressure Cook, Slow Cook|
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||8 minutes|
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 15 ounces white beans drained and rinsed (
- 4 large round red tomatoes chopped (
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped (
- 2 medium carrots chopped (
- 2 medium celery ribs chopped (
- 1 medium zucchini (
6 ounces), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 3 medium garlic cloves peeled and minced (
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces whole-wheat, or gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 2 ounces finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (
- Mix the broth, beans, tomatoes, onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, basil, walnuts, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes in the cooker. Stir in the pasta and lock the lid onto the pot.
- Optional 1 Max Pressure Cooker
Press Pressure cook on Max pressure for 6 minutes with the Keep Warm setting off.
- Optional 2 All Pressure Cookers
Press Soup/Broth or Pressure cook (Manual) on High pressure for 8 minutes with the Keep Warm setting off.
- Option 3 Slow Cook
Press Slow Cook option on High for 3 hours with Keep Warm setting off (or on for no more than 2 hours)
- If you’ve used a pressure-cooking setting, use the quick-release method to bring the pot’s pressure back to normal.
- Unlatch the lid and open the pot. Stir in the cheese, set the lid askew over the pot, and set aside for about 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
• You must half the recipe for a 3-quart cooker.
• Make the soup less sour by adding up to 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar with the vegetables.
• Substitute 1/4 cup pine nuts for the walnuts.
• Substitute 6 ounces spiraled zucchini for the zucchini slices.
• Finish the bowls with a drizzle of fine, aromatic olive oil.
Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
All recipes by : Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!