Braised Short Ribs
Korean Style Ribs (Galbijjim)
|By :Instant Brands Culinary Team|
Galbijjim is a Korean staple reserved for special events and holidays like the Lunar New Year. Complex flavors, a rich sauce and intoxicating aromas conjure a homey atmosphere while you’re cooking and after you’re done plating. We recommend serving these short ribs with white rice and a drizzle of sesame oil
|Course||Dinner, Main Course|
|Duration||more than 2 hours|
|Main Ingredient||Beef short ribs, Carrot, Garlic Cloves, Ginger, Green Onion, Red Dates, Rice Wine, Shiitake Mushrooms, Yellow Onion|
|Keyword||short ribs recipe, slow cook recipes|
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||6 1/2 hours (slow cook)|
- 2 1/2 lbs beef Short Ribs bone in
- 6 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 green onions white stems only
- 1 tsp Ginger peeled and sliced
- 6 cups Water
- 1 small yellow onion cut into 8 pieces
- 1 Asian pear peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 1 Korean radish cut into 6 pieces Alt: 6 red radishes, halved
- 1 carrot sliced in 1.5-inch-thick chunks
- 5 shiitake mushrooms fresh or dried
- 3 green onions green tops only
- 6 Jujubes (red dates) dried and seedless
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 4 tbsp Aji-Mirin (Rice Wine)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger minced
- 1/2 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper crushed
- Wash the short ribs and place in a large container filled with cold water. Let it soak for 20 minutes. Prepare blanching and braising ingredients in the meantime.
- Crush the 6 peeled garlic cloves with the side of the knife or heel of your palm, and place in the Inner Pot.
- Add yellow onion, green onions, ginger, and drained short ribs to the pot.
- Add 6 cups of cold water.
- Select Sauté, cycle to the HIGH setting and set time for 10 minutes (00:10). Select Start. If you have an Instant Pot Tempered Glass Lid, you can cover your Instant Pot to quicken the boiling process.
- Remove the lid (if used) once the liquid starts boiling to prevent the liquid from overflowing. Reduce temperature to LOW. Select START. Let short ribs boil for an additional 5-10 minutes (00:10). Skim off any scum from the surface.
- Select CANCEL. Strain the blanching liquid and remove the ribs from the inner pot and place them on a plate.
- Add all your Braising ingredients to the pot and mix well.
- Place short ribs back into the pot; and make sure ribs are covered by the cooked vegetables and sauces.
- Place Multi-Cooker lid on the pot and lock it. Set to VENT.
- Select SLOW COOK and set time to 6 hours (06:00). Select START.
- When the cooking time reaches zero (00:00), Select CANCEL and remove lid. Plate your Galbijjim and enjoy!
TIP: The blanching steps can be completed ahead of braising. You can use the blanching liquid as a stock for soup.
Instant Brands Culinary Team
All recipes by : Instant Brands Culinary Team
You might also like