Seasoned Fish Fillets
|By :Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough|
What’s the best way for you to avoid a faux pas at your next party? You know, like when you introduce someone’s trophy husband as their son? Keep a bowl of party mix on hand to keep your mouth busy. But here’s the deal: Most party mixes are made with boxed cereals. And here’s more of the deal: Those cereals are designed to get soggy quickly, even when toasted. Let’s make a crunchier, tastier version of the standard that’s got a bigger variety of textures (for mouth busyness) and lots more spicy flavors (for yum). Author © Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough Photograph © Eric Medsker
|Cooking Technique||Instant Omni Toaster Oven and Air Fryer|
|Main Ingredient||bagel chips, Garlic Powder, mild smoked paprika, mixed nuts, Onion Powder, rice crackers|
|Prep Time||8 minutes|
|Cook Time||6 minutes|
|Passive Time||5 minutes (cooling time)|
10 small servings
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp mild smoked paprika
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne optional
- 1 rounded cup broken plain unseasoned bagel chips
- 1 rounded cup unseasoned thin halved pretzel sticks do not use thick pretzel rods
- 1 cup plain unsalted, unseasoned mixed nuts
- 16 small round rice crackers broken up, each about 2 inches diameter
- Stir the melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and cayenne (if using) in a large bowl until uniform.
- Add the bagel chips, pretzel sticks, nuts, and rice crackers. Toss and stir until everything is yummy-coated, with no more than a drop or two of melted butter at the bottom of the bowl.
- Set the machine to "Air Fry." Set the temperature to 350°F and the timer to 8 minutes (which will be a little more than you need). Press START.
- When the machine beeps, indicating "add food," or is heated to the proper temperature, scrape and pour the ingredients from the bowl into the basket or onto the tray in a fairly compact layer, although with some overlap. The party mix should not be more than
1/2 inchdeep. Use separate trays or work in batches as necessary.
- Air-fry, tossing the ingredients once every minute but otherwise ignoring any "turn food" indicator, until the mix is lightly browned and quite fragrant, maybe 5 or 6 minutes. If you’ve used multiple trays, swap them top to bottom at about the halfway point in the cooking process. You may also want to air-fry the mix for 1 or 2 minutes longer than we suggest if you like a bit of a burnt crunch.
- Turn off the machine and dump the party mix into a large bowl. Wait for at least 5 minutes to dig in. The party mix can be kept at room temperature for about an hour.
Upgrade This Recipe!
1/2 cupshelled pumpkin seeds (aka pepitas) with the bagel chips.
- For a dairy-free mix, substitute
3 tbsppeanut oil or coconut oil for the butter.
- Substitute rendered bacon fat for the butter. (You don’t have any around? Turn to page 151 and make some Irresistible Bacon.)
LEFTOVERS! Once cooled to room temperature, the mix can be stored in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Refresh either those that sit at room temperature too long or any stored leftovers in a single layer in a 350°F air fryer for 1 to 2 minutes, tossing once.
Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
All recipes by : Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!