• Unfortunately, dulce de leche cannot be made in a soufflé dish smaller than the one required here — and therefore cannot be made in a 3-quart cooker. Even halved, the mixture roils too much to be contained in a 1-quart baking dish. The recipe also cannot be doubled in the standard 2-quart baking dish we call for.
• Serve dulce de leche over vanilla, butter pecan, chocolate, or any nut ice cream. It’s particularly delicious over cashew milk ice cream.
• Drizzle warm dulce de leche over blackberries — and top with whipped cream.
• Or spread it on toast as a change from Nutella.
• Or dip salty pretzel logs into the sauce as a great dessert.