Chicago-Style Italian Beef Sandwiches
|By :Instant Pot Italian by Ivy Manning|
These Italian-American sandwiches are stacked high with sliced beef, pepperoncini-spiked jus, and giardiniera pickles, so you’ll need sturdy rolls to hold in all the goodness. Delis in Chicago use a spiral meat slicer to get wafer-thin slices of meat. At home, you can either slice the roast with a sharp carving knife into thin slices (best with bottom or rump roast) or shred the meat with two forks (if using chuck roast).
|Cooking Technique||Pressure Cook|
|Main Ingredient||Beef Chuck, Broth, Onion|
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||75 minutes|
- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast well-marbled bottom round roast, or rump roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic granulated
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth homemade or low-sodium store-bought
- 1 yellow onion halved lengthwise and sliced through the root end
- 1/2 cup pickled pepperoncini peppers sliced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 6 crusty sub sandwich rolls split lengthwise
- 1 cup chopped giardiniera or other Italian pickled vegetables, homemade or store-bought
- Select Sauté and adjust to More/High heat. Brush the roast with the oil and sprinkle with the granulated garlic and a generous amount of salt and pepper. When the pot is hot, add the beef and cook until well browned all over, 8 minutes. Press Cancel.
- Add the broth, onion, pepperoncini, garlic, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning to the pot and stir to combine. Lock on the lid, select the Pressure Cook function, and adjust to High pressure for 1 hour 20 minutes. Make sure the steam valve is in the “Sealing” position and that the “Keep Warm” button is off.
- When the cooking time is up, let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 minutes. Transfer the roast to a cutting board and tent with foil. Select Sauté and adjust to More/High heat. Simmer the cooking liquid, uncovered, until reduced slightly, 10 minutes. Spoon off the liquid fat floating on top of the liquid and discard.
- Thinly slice the roast with a sharp carving knife or slice the meat into thick slices and shred it with two forks (see headnote in recipe description). Mound the beef on the rolls, spoon some of the reduced cooking liquid over the top, and top with the giardiniera.
The following recipes are excerpted from INSTANT POT® ITALIAN © 2018 by Ivy Manning. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
Instant Pot Italian by Ivy Manning
Ivy Manning is a Portland, Oregon based freelance food writer and author of Williams Sonoma Weeknight Vegetarian, Better From Scratch, Crackers and Dips: More Than 50 Homemade Snacks, The Adaptable Feast: Satisfying Meals for the Vegetarians, Vegans and Omnivores At Your Table, and The Farm to Table Cookbook: The Art of Eating Locally. Ivy's work regularly appears in Cooking Light, Fine Cooking, Clean Eating, and Every Day with Rachel Ray. Visit her at www.ivymanning.com and on Instagram at Ivy_Manning
All recipes by : Instant Pot Italian by Ivy Manning
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!