Apple Pie Applesauce
|By :Danielle Walker|
Although there are a lot of dairy-free yogurts available in stores nowadays, many of them use ingredients I don’t tolerate well, like tapioca, cane sugar, and guar or xanthan gums. Making yogurt at home is easier than you think, and because it tastes so much better than store- bought, I make a batch a week for me and the kids. The small amount of maple syrup is essential for the fermentation process, but the yogurt will be sugar-free once the bacteria has used up the sugars. This is a plain, sour yogurt that’s delicious on its own, but I’ve added a variation if you want something sweeter. Note: You will need a yogurt maker, Instant Pot, or dehydrator for this recipe.
|Browse Category||Breakfast, Kid-Friendly, Seven Ingredients or Less|
|Duration||more than 2 hours|
|Diet||Dairy Free, Low Carb, Low Sodium|
|Cooking Technique||Pressure Cook|
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||12+ hours|
4 - 6 servings
- 1 cup whole raw cashews
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or light-colored raw honey
- 1 dairy-free and gluten- free probiotic capsule 50 billion IU, discard the capsule casing
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Place the cashews in a bowl and add enough boiling water to cover. Soak for 30 minutes, then drain, rinse, and drain again.
1/2 cupof the filtered water in a saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Set aside to let the gelatin bloom for 10 minutes.
- Place the cashews in a blender with the remaining
1 1/2 cupsfiltered water. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides if needed and blend again, until very smooth.
- Place the saucepan with the gelatin over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly to dissolve the gelatin. Turn the heat to medium and add the cashew liquid. Heat the mixture, whisking constantly, until it reaches
120°F, about 5 minutes; do not let it boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let cool to
110°F, about 15 minutes. Whisk in the maple syrup and the probiotic powder. Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into six clean 4-ouncejars and secure the lids.
2 cupsof lukewarm water into the Instant Pot and place the wire rack at the bottom. Place the jars on the rack and secure the lid. Press the yogurt button and ferment for 12 to 16 hours. The longer you leave the yogurt, the sourer it will become.
- Place the jars in the refrigerator for 4 hours, or up to 5 days, to allow the gelatin to set and the yogurt to thicken. Whisk the yogurt well for a creamy consistency before eating.
Variation: For fruit-flavored yogurt, stir in 2 tablespoons, per jar, of a fresh fruit puree of your choice before chilling in the refrigerator. My family loves strawberry, peach, blueberry, and banana-mango.
Danielle Walker is the author of three New York Times bestselling cookbooks, Against All Grain, Meals Made Simple, and Celebrations! She is also the voice behind the most popular grain-free website on the Internet, AgainstAllGrain.com. She is a self-trained chef whose innovative and accessible grain-free recipes appeal to a range of appetites. Her recipes are not only healthy and delicious, but also can be credited with saving her life after she received a diagnosis of a serious autoimmune disease. She lives with her husband and three children in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!