Seasoned Fish Fillets
Apple “Pie” Wedges
|By :Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough|
By air-frying apple quarters in a graham-cracker coating, we can get very close to the flavors of apple pie without a great deal of work (or a great deal of dessert guilt—the worst guilt, after all the other guilts). These treats are perfect finger food, great for when the kids come home from school or everybody comes home from a walk. (Then again, who among us hasn’t eaten a slice of apple pie as finger food? Now we can do it without negating the effects of that walk.) Author © Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough Photograph © Eric Medsker
|Cooking Technique||Instant Omni Toaster Oven and Air Fryer|
|Main Ingredient||All-Purpose Flour, Egg, Gala apple, Graham Crackers, ground cinnamon|
|Keyword||air fry, apple pie, dessert, eggs, flour, fruit, Instant vortex air fryer, snack, vortex air fryer|
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Cook Time||8 Minutes|
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 medium moderately sweet apples such as empire or gala
- Nonstick spray
- 2 large egg whites
- Stir the flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk the egg white and water in a shallow bowl or on a soup plate until uniform. Spread the crumbs on a plate.
- Peel the apples, then cut each in half through the stem. Cut each half into quarters, and slice off the edge of each quarter that has the seeds and their casings.
- Dredge an apple piece in the flour mixture, coating it well on all sides but letting any excess fall back into the bowl. Dip the wedge in the egg-white mixture, coating it all over and allowing any excess to fall back into the bowl. Set the wedge in the graham cracker crumbs and press firmly but gently, turning the wedge to get a full coating on all sides, even the edges. Coat generously with nonstick spray and set aside. Continue dredging and dipping the remaining apple wedges.
- Set the machine to "Air Fry." Set the temperature to 375°F and the timer to 10 minutes (which will be a little more than you need). Press START.
- When the machine beeps, indicates "ADD FOOD,"or is heated to the proper temperature, set the apple wedges in the basket or on the tray in a single layer. They can be tight, but they should not touch. Use separate trays or work in batches as necessary.
- Air-fry, undisturbed and ignoring any "Turn Food" indicator, until the wedges are golden brown with a set coating, about 8 minutes. If you’ve used multiple trays, swap them top to bottom at about the halfway point in the cooking process.
- Turn off the machine and use nonstick-safe kitchen tongs to gently transfer the wedges to a fine-mesh wire rack. Cool for a few minutes before serving warm.
Upgrade This Recipe!
- Substitute a purchased apple pie spice blend for the cinnamon.
- Drizzle the caramel ice cream topping over the warm wedges before serving. Warm the caramel sauce for an even more decadent treat.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans over the wedges if they are drizzled with caramel sauce.
Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
All recipes by : Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!